84% Buyers of Honda City Preferred Petrol Version Over Diesel In FY19

honda city forget the toys-1

The mid-size sedan segment in India saw a total sales of 1.56 Lakh units last fiscal, out of which a good 69% belong to petrol variants

There’s a huge debate going on in the Indian automobile industry over the changing emission norms. The new BS-VI norms will be applicable from 1st April 2020 and it is been calculated that the diesel engine cost will increase substantially to adhere to these norms and that will affect the car prices in India. Keeping this in mind, car manufacturers like Maruti Suzuki and Renault have announced to shut diesel models production going forward.

How things look incredibly stable for Honda Cars India whose best-selling City mid-size sedan is clocking 84% of its total sales via petrol version. In FY2019 (from April 2018 to March 2019), Honda sold a total of 41,072 City sedans, out of which a whopping 34,647 were petrol variants, 84% of overall sales. As compared the rest 16% were diesel variants, selling 6,425 units only.

That’s the biggest of petrol cars in any mid-size sedan, leaving aside Toyota Yaris, which is sold only with a petrol engine. The whole mid-size segment saw a 69% sales of petrol cars as compared to 31% diesel models, which is good news for this segment.

honda city zx mt new 2 colours-4

In comparison, Maruti Suzuki sold 35,001 units of petrol Ciaz out of 46,169 units overall sold the last fiscal, the rest 11,168 units were diesel variants. Hyundai Verna, on the other hand, had a 50-50 ratio between diesel and petrol cars. A total of 39,568 units of Verna were sold in this period.

The rest of the low selling sedan couldn’t cross the 10,000 figure in the same period and saw an opposite mix of diesel-petrol ratio. Cars like Skoda Rapid, Volkswagen Vento and Nissan Sunny, all saw diesel selling more than petrol cars.

Data Source: AutoPunditz