Volkswagen has never had a product introduced for the Indian market to attract the first-time buyers crowd or otherwise in the affordable entry-level segment. The German manufacturer is basically doing what Maruti Suzuki has done recently but in contrary. Volkswagen is trying to venture into a sub-four compact sedan eyeing the best-selling Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire in the entry-level market and keeping this in mind, VW India finally unveiled the Volkswagen Ameo in India just a day before the Auto Expo 2016 in early February.
Polo, Vento and Ameo seem to fit the bill right on paper at the least. German jokes apart, we expect this car to be a serious player for the German brand as it is struggling to find traction when it comes to sales numbers. This compact sedan will be available across all Volkswagen showrooms and the deliveries of the model have commenced. Customers can also pre-book the Ameo through the mobile application available on the Google PlayStore. Volkswagen’s brand building could get stronger with this product.
Volkswagen is working hard to make sure all things are smooth post and pre sales and Volkswagen Ameo with a strong mechanical and features loaded package will challenge tough competitors like Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire, Hyundai Xcent, Honda Amaze, Tata Zest and Ford Figo Aspire. Volkswagen Ameo follows the design language of its hatchback sibling the Polo. The boot seems to be looking short with fixed headrests as a cost-saving measure. Here’s everything you should know about the VW Ameo:
Volkswagen Ameo Price
The Volkswagen Ameo compact sedan’s prices start at Rs. 5.14 lakh for the Trendline base variant, Rs. 5.88 lakh for Comfortline and Rs. 6.91 lakh for the Highline top-spec variant. (all prices, ex-showroom Mumbai Pre-Octroi).
|Volkswagen Ameo Petrol||Ex-showroom Delhi|
|Trendline||Rs. 5.24 lakh|
|Comfortline||Rs. 5.99 lakh|
|Highline||Rs. 7.05 lakh|
Volkswagen Ameo Engine, Specification & Mileage:
The three variants of the VW Ameo come with one engine option. It’s the notorious 1.2L MPI petrol engine mated with five-Speed gearbox from the Polo premium hatchback. The three-cylinder engine produces a maximum power output of 74 bhp and 110 Nm of peak torque. It’s ARAI-certified to return a fuel economy of 17.83 kmpl. VW Ameo Diesel with 1.5L TDI trusted and tested engine unit that comes with 5-Speed manual and 7-Speed DSG gearbox is expected later.
Volkswagen Ameo Exterior & Dimensions:
The Volkswagen Ameo compact sedan features a length of 3,995 mm, width of 1,682 mm, height of 1,483 mm and has a wheelbase of 2,470 mm. The fuel tank capacity stands at 45 litres while the bootspace is at 330 litres.
Sub four meter means it is compact than the Vento and has design cues taken from the Polo which make it sleek and stylish with projector headlamps, new front bumper and horizontal fog lamps. Side profile remain the same as the Vento though. However, the front and rear profiles change dramatically to make the sedan an instant success from the moment you look at it. VW Ameo comes with body coloured bumpers, detailing in chrome, chrome applique on door handles, 15-inch alloy wheels and static cornering lights.
Volkswagen Ameo Colours:
White, black, red, silver and brown could be the colors offered for the Volkswagen Ameo.
Ameo Interior & Features
Rear view camera with parking sensors, Touchscreen multimedia music system with Mirror link, I-pod connectivity, phonebook / SMS viewer, “Climatronic” automatic AC with dust & pollen filter, Electrically adjustable & foldable ORVMs with LED turn indicators, Cooled glove box, Auto dimming IRVM, Tilt & telescopic steering wheel and Rear AC vents are some of the equipment offered. There are ‘segment first features’ like cruise control, rain sensing wipers, centre arm rest, anti-pinch power windows, front centre arm rest and static cornering lights.
The sub-four metre, India-specific sedan has beige interior as like in Vento and dashboard borrowed from the premium Polo hatchback. However, quality, fit-finish and build quality will be similar as they’re something associated with the brand itself. Driver and passenger airbags along with ABS are standard across all the variants.
Volkswagen Ameo Variant-wise Features and Equipment
VW Ameo Trendline Features:
- Body coloured bumpers
- Body coloured outside door handles and mirror
- Door mirrors with turn indicators
- Windshield in heat insulating glass
- Sporty flat-bottom steering wheel
- Front centre console including 12V outlet
- 1.5 litre bottle storage and cup holders in front doors
- Sunglass holder inside glovebox
- Driver side dead pedal
- Black interior theme
- Class-first single-folding rear seat backrest
- Instrument cluster with tachometer
- Speedometer, odometer and trip meter, lane change indicator
- Front power windows
- Central locking
- Tilt and telescopic adjustable steering wheel
- Speed sensitive electronic power steering
- Luggage compartment lighting.
VW Ameo Comfortline Features:
In addition to features in the base Trendline, the Comfortline will have
- Dual beam headlamps
- Fabric desert beige and dual-tone interior theme
- Cooled glove box
- Ambient lights with theatre dimming effect
- Segment-first cruise control
- Height adjustable driver seat
- Electrically-adjustable ORVM
- 1st in class remote controlled opening and closing of doors
- Remote-controlled central locking
- CD/MP3 player with USB, Aux-in, SD, phonebook sync, Bluetooth and i-pod connectivity
- Four speakers, monochrome multi-function display (MFD) includes travelling time, distance travelled, digital speed display
- Average speed and fuel efficiency, segment-first front and rear power windows with one-touch operation.
VW Ameo Highline Features:
Alongside the features and equipment of Trendline and Comfortline, the top-spec Highline trims will have
- Air dam detailing in chrome
- Chrome appliqué on door handles and a set of alloy wheels
- Brushed aluminium finish on front center console
- Chrome interior accents
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with chrome accents and piano black finish
- Leather-wrapped gearshift knob C
- lass-first automatic rain sensing wipers
- Reverse parking camera and sensors
- Front centre armrest with rear AC vent
- Climatronic automatic AC
- Speed-sensing auto door locks.
ABS and dual airbags are standard on all variants
VW Ameo Key Rivals
Ford Figo Aspire, Maruti Suzuki Dzire, Hyundai Xcent, Honda Amaze, Toyota Etios and Tata Zest