Only 15% Buyers Of Tigor Bought Diesel Version Over Petrol Last Fiscal

Hrithik Roshan Brand Ambassador Tata Tigor

In FY2018-19, 59 per cent of the total sales in the sub-four-metre sedan segment was for petrol variants

In the sub-four-metre sedan segment, the overall sales trend has dramatically shifted in recent times as evident with the difference in percentage volume between petrol and diesel fuels. The Dzire has dominated the segment for long and the latest iteration introduced in 2017 has been no different as 2,53,859 units were retailed in the financial year 2018-19.

Of them, 53 per cent were for petrol variants and the remaining 47 per cent for diesel variants. The sales of petrol-spec sedans had the upper hand over their diesel counterparts as Amaze, Xcent and Tigor positioned second, third and fourth respectively in overall volume last FY, continued with the same trend.

The second generation Honda Amaze revived the brand’s fortunes in the Indian market and it was responsible for nearly half of the entire sales registered by the Japanese conglomerate. Introduced in May 2018, the Amaze recorded 85,040 units last fiscal and the penetration between petrol and diesel was obvious here as the former led the latter in the ratio of 72:28.

tata tigor petrol review-15

Hyundai’s Xcent is due a new generation sometime early next year and in FY2018-19 a total of 37,982 units were retailed with petrol sales leading the diesel by 68:32. Tata Motors gave the Tigor a mild facelift in October 2018 but it could not reinvigorate its sales figures by a big margin as only 25,455 units were delivered.

Since it has been aggressively priced in the market, the 1.2-litre Revotron petrol engine had more takers as the sales were dominated by it in the ratio of 85:15. With only 15 per cent of the volume driven by diesel variants, do not be surprised if the 1.05-litre Revotorq motor is pulled out of the lineup post BS6 implementation.

Ford refreshed the Aspire with cosmetic updates and new engine lineup but surprisingly the sales of diesel variants topped the petrol by the ratio of 52:48. Same trend was witnessed on the Tata Zest as 88 per cent of the total 11,156 units were for diesel variants. Volkswagen’s Ameo saw 5,274 units of petrol variants sold while at 42 per cent 3,794 units of diesel models were retailed.