New generation Mahindra Thar gets evolutionary exterior changes and a brand new interior with a host of premium features, Launching on 2nd October
Mahindra & Mahindra has established itself as a major player in the passenger Utility Vehicle segment mainly due to its variety of offering catering to different sets of customers. The Thar does have a unique place among them due to its off-roading nature. Being in business since 2010, the Thar has created a cult following only a few could even dare to replicate.
However, as buyers’ preferences have changed over time, Mahindra has responded and today the second generation Thar has been revealed. It will reach showrooms in the coming weeks with the commencement of official bookings and test drives and right now, the long sought after off-roader’s details have come to the fore. In a nutshell, the Thar has become more matured while appealing to a wider band of customers.
Based on a new platform, the new generation Mahindra Thar gets premium amenities you could not find with the previous model and it is a good thing for many reasons, as Maruti Suzuki Jimny is in the horizon. On the outside, the homegrown auto major has implemented evolutionary updates as the rugged and robust nature of the Thar has been retained, the way it should be.
The All-New Thar has the following exciting features:
- All-new BS-6 compliant Engine options: The 2.0 litre mStallion TGDi Petrol engine and the 2.2 litre mHawk Diesel engine
- New Gearbox options: 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission & 6-speed manual transmission mated to an authentic manual shift-on-the-fly 4×4 transfer case
- All-new Roof options: A Hard Top, a first-in-class Convertible Top and an optional Soft Top
- All-new Seating options: 4 front-facing seats & 2+4 side-facing seats
- All-new Technology Features: Drizzle resistant 17.8 cm touchscreen infotainment system, cruise control, adventure statistics display and a whole lot more
- All-new Comfort and Convenience Features: Sporty front seats, roof-mounted speakers and lots more
- New Safety Features: ABS + EBD, Dual airbags, ESP with rollover mitigation, Hill-hold and hill descent control and a whole lot more
The upright front fascia with flat bonnet structure, multiple vertical grille slats, aggressive bumper, the inclusion of new LED Daytime Running Lights, bossy fenders, off-road based tyres, black alloy wheels, tall pillars, an updated rear end with rectangular shaped tail lamps are present. The new Thar will be offered in multiple configurations including hard- and soft-top versions.
The All-New Thar has a completely redesigned interior that mirrors the robust, retro-styled cues of the Thar’s exteriors.
- Iconic Design
- LED Daytime Running Lamps
- Dual Tone Bumpers
- LED Tail Lamps
- 72 cm (R18) Deep Silver Alloy Wheels
- Choice of Three Roof Options: a Hard Top, First-in-Class Manual Convertible Top & a Fixed Soft Top
- Front Fog Lamps
- All-New Purposeful Interiors with an All-Black theme with Silver Accents.
- Faux carbon-fibre detailing around the AC vents & centre bezel
Moreover, the expansive range meant that Mahindra can look at attracting more general SUV buyers too. It sits on the ladder-frame chassis with mechanical improvements and is powered by BSVI compliant petrol and diesel engines. The 2.2-litre four-cylinder oil-burner has been upgrades to kick out around 130 horsepower and 330 NM of torque while the 2.0-litre mStallion petrol delivers 150 hp and 320 Nm. Both engine option mated with 6-Speed manual & 6-Speed AT gearbox.
The turbocharged gasoline unit will be extensively found across Mahindra’s range in the future as the next generation 2021-bound Scorpio and XUV500 will likely use it too. Both six-speed manual and a torque converter automatic sourced from AISIN will be on offer. The availability of premium features and an upmarket cabin clearly show Mahindra’s intention in positioning the new Thar as a lifestyle based off-roader.
The All-New Thar is also equipped with advanced off-road hardware that seriously improves its capability to go wherever and do whatever the driver demands of it.
- Authentic Body-on-Frame Construction- A True SUV
- Independent Front Suspension & Multi-Link Rear Suspension set-up
- Shift-on-the-Fly 4×4 Manual Shift Transfer Case with Low Ratio
- Mechanical Locking Differential on the Rear Axle
- First-in-Class Brake Locking Differential
- Class-leading approach (41.8 deg), departure (36.8 deg) & ramp over (27 deg) angles
- Ground clearance of 226mm in unladen condition
- Water wading depth of 650mm
- All-Terrain Tyres 255/65 R18, with White Lettering: The Largest Tyre in its Class
- First-in-Class Electromechanical Driveline Disconnect
Expect the price range to hover around Rs. 9.99 lakh and Rs. 14.5 lakh (ex-showroom). On the inside, it gets a black-themed cabin and comprises of features such as a touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, automatic climate control, engine start/stop button, usable spaces, Thar wording embossed on the door panels, power window controls in the middle behind the gear lever.
All-New Thar is equipped with a excellent range of active & passive safety features to keep all passengers secure and out of harm’s way.
- Crash-safety compliant bodyshell
- First-in-Class ESP with Rollover Mitigation
- First-in-Class Built-in Roll-cage with 3-Point Seat belts for all passengers
- Dual Airbags & ABS
- First-in-Class Hill Hold & Hill Descent Control
- First-in-Class ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts
- Intellipark: Rear Parking Sensors
Other notable features include Hill Descent Control, Traction Control System, forward facing rear seats with adjustable headrests, multi-functional steering wheel with mounted controls, new dashboard layout and instrument cluster with MID, use of premium quality materials, carbon-fibre like touches, chrome garnished circular AC vents, and so on.