33 Percent Buyers Preferred Petrol Jeep Compass Over Diesel Last Fiscal


Over 67 Percent buyers preferred diesel engine powered Jeep Compass SUV over the petrol model, reflecting the larger segment trend

Jeep Compass, the only hope of FCA Group (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) in India is doing well in terms of sales. As per the sales data of last Fiscal posted bu AutoPunditz, Jeep India managed to sell a total of 16,079 units throughout the year, out of which a good 67 percent sales was contributed by diesel models. The rest 33 percent came from the petrol powered Compass. In all, Jeep sold 10,735 diesel powered Compass and 5,344 petrol powered Compass.

It’s interesting data as it reflects that buyers are still preferring diesel cars over petrol models, while India is slowly shifting away from diesel to petrol cars. The new emission norms will be implemented from 1st April 2020 when all the new cars sold will have to be BS-VI ready.

Since the cost of implementing BS-VI will be high on diesel cars, few manufacturers like Maruti Suzuki and Renault have already announced to do away with diesel models. However, for brands like Jeep, it will hard to implement such harsh steps as most of their sales come from this 2.0-litre diesel engine powered models.


Not only the Jeep Compass, most of the SUV sales numbers coming from diesel version including Hyundai Creta and Renault Duster. The rest of the SUVs like Mahindra Scorpio, Tata Harrier and Mahindra XUV500 saw 100 per cent sales of diesel models.

This whole segment recorded a massive 82 percent buyers preferring diesel models over petrol cars. Only 18 percent people bought petrol cars out of total sales of 2,79,333 units in this segment. To put things into numbers, 230,070 were diesel cars and just 49,263 petrol cars were sold.